A physics lab consists of a wide range of physics lab equipments to perform a number of experiments. These may include glass beakers, test tunes, items scales, lenses, heat lamps, magnets, balls, pendulums inclined planes etc. A physics lab may also include some more sophisticated equipment, such as voltammeter, electroscope, potentiometer, telescopes, microscopes, spectroscopes; electromagnets etc. are used to conduct every type of physics lab experiments in school or university level.
Objectives of a physics laboratory:
The broad goals of a physics laboratory are:
- A physics lab reinforces the theory class with required physics lab experiments to stress the fundamental concepts of physics.
- To make the students understand how physics lab equipment is to be used.
- To make the students aware of the inherent doubt of the measurements.
- To make the students know the importance of direct observation as compared to inference based on theory.
The importance of physics lab equipments can be understood from the fact that without their involvement or support it would be almost impossible for the researchers to carry out their researches. Whether it is a research laboratory or a school or college laboratory, physics laboratory equipments will always be found. You will find different types of physics lab equipment in all those laboratories. All those small or big physics lab equipment are used in laboratories and assist lab professionals to carry out the experiments.
Functions in a Physics Laboratory
Generally the functions undertaken in a physics laboratory are broadly classified as per the needs of academics, government, and industry. Its main functions are as follows:
- To develop new physical standards, data and measurement methods.
- To pursue research in the physical sciences.
- To collaborate with various research organizations and industries to commercialize inventions and discoveries.
- To undertake laboratory programs starting from tests of fundamental physics postulates to generic technology to the more immediate needs of commerce and industry.